Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:05 amBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:12 pm  Post subject:   
not necessarily HD, i went back and played Tricky the other day, and i really wasnt digging it, just seemed outdated to me. OT has its flaws but i think i enjoy its newness, and to say that u wouldnt think it was the same series is crazyiness. you would think of it exactly the way you should i guess, thats its the same series just taken in a very different direction. you know what i mean?. it still has that same core riding style to it!!

ok everyone can now tear me a new one for not digging on tricky anymore!! :heh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:23 pm  Post subject:   
SSX On Tour: Racing: #1
Scoreboard Honors: 4
  • SSX On Tour: Racing: #1
  • SSX 3: Overall: #2
  • SSX 3: Racing: #3
  • SSX On Tour: Overall: #3
Titan wrote:
not necessarily HD, i went back and played Tricky the other day, and i really wasnt digging it, just seemed outdated to me. OT has its flaws but i think i enjoy its newness, and to say that u wouldnt think it was the same series is crazyiness. you would think of it exactly the way you should i guess, thats its the same series just taken in a very different direction. you know what i mean?. it still has that same core riding style to it!!

ok everyone can now tear me a new one for not digging on tricky anymore!! :heh

hehe, i turn on ssx tricky and can't even get done loading up the track before i have to turn it off...the only reason i keep it is to have all the ssx's :heh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:17 pm  Post subject:   
Just to add my 2 pence,

I thorougly enjoyed SSX3 but as a casual gamer who doesnt have the time or patience to take my playing skills to the hight of the likes of Ice X or Royank and co. I have to say SSX3 was a little bit difficult towards the end, Neither would I ever have the time or inclination to collect all the snowflakes, research every course for warp holes and make my thumbs bleed getting those ubers down.

What SSX OT did in some ways was lower the difficulty (atleast in the early stages) to bring in new fans, always a good thing since new fans = more sales and the nod from EA corporate bosses for another sequel. Was it perfect? ofcourse not and hopefully lessons will be learned to try and please a larger number of existing fans next time.

I cant see how anyone can come down on it that hard, it really was an enjoyable romp in the snow!!:P:P

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:20 pm  Post subject:   
Attack Duck Owner
PSN: VixDiesel
everyone has their own views, to each their own of course....

but for me, the game was not the slightest bit enjoyable.

sure i have the time to game due to no job but i played it for a week and i haven't touched it since then. i only put it back in my ps2 when gondee asked for help with the faq. I doubt I'd ever play it again.

But that's just my opinion of the game. I uberly disliked it. heh.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:29 pm  Post subject:   
Gravitude MVP
vix wrote:

Same here. I have not touched the game since Mid November and don't have plans to either.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:34 pm  Post subject:   
SSX On Tour: Racing: #1
Scoreboard Honors: 4
  • SSX On Tour: Racing: #1
  • SSX 3: Overall: #2
  • SSX 3: Racing: #3
  • SSX On Tour: Overall: #3
For those like me who love racing...it fits us pretty well :heh But i can see why you can hate the game Chaos :) ...but i've gotten really bored of the game as of late. Mainly cuz i'm having fun playing a much better game in Perfect Dark 0. Even though it's the weakest ssx of the series, i still put it at one of my games that i like playing a lot because of the level of competition ssx brings and without online capabilities (xbox live) i can only have fun beating my friends and family so many times :heh

Last edited by IceXtreme on Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:34 pm  Post subject:   
Attack Duck Owner
yeah, as much as i love the series, i just can't bring myself to play this and attempt to enjoy it. I'll play ssx1(even though I suck bad at it), tricky or 3 any day.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:48 pm  Post subject:   
The problem I have with OT is the lack of the real characters. Yeah, the boarding/skiing is fun and all, but there is no individuality - what made the other games great. The Tour wasn't that god awful, but I think THPS Underground executed the concept much better. Personaly, I hope they ditch the CAC and the Underground gameplay, but I have a feeling they will want to expand on it.

But what are they going to do with the characters in the next addition to the series? I feel that EA really butchered the main characters and I wouldn't want to play as any of them as they were in OT. The only two I prefered to play as were Mac and Allegra. Mac turned into a Prep and Allegra is... a goddamn whore.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:07 pm  Post subject:   
Yes, they did a bad turn with the trademark SSX characters. Though, I wouldn't trash the C-A-C so quickly. I had a lot of enjoyment creating diffrent types of wacky characters and outting them on the slopes. I RP alot, and I have a few characters who snowboard and ski, so I'd make human replicas with them and do the events with imagination in mind, and since the characters don't talk, I'd throw in some lines on my own.

What they REALLY need to do with C-A-C is impliment a Story mode. A highly flexible one, bring back that friend system from SSX (Tricky) and AT LEAST give it impliments of you either befirending or making enemies with the characters, like how if you would piss off a racer in Tricky, they would get at you after the race... Something similar to that. They already got the gameplay almost perfect (except for the lack of a 4th grab button on any console but PS2...) so they should try to up the interactivity. Though, that would require them to bring back the character personalities, but hey, that's what made them special... right?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:25 am  Post subject:   
New here. Hi. Found this site through the faq link from Gamefaqs. I'll figure out where the intro stuff goes later. I wanted to respond to this. I just got SSXOT, and I have to say I am dissapointed too. I have been playing since SSXT.

I just started playing SSXOT yesterday, so I will give it a while. I am getting used to the differences, although that doesn't mean I like them all. Personally MY favorite SSX was 3. I played SSXT for several months, and loved it. I have been playing SSX3 on and off for over a year now. I played it for two months straight when I first got it, and then at least once a week since.

Somone said that the trade off for the CAC was the loss of the in-game characters. Why? THPS4, THUG, and THUG2 have far superior CAC modes, AND returning characters. However, I much prefer SSX to the TH series. EA could have quite easily used their own CAC to make the main characters playable. I mean come on. EA. The company that makes The SIMS. Don't tell me they couldn't make a better CAC, or fit in the original characters. On a DVD disc. Bullcrap.

What I really want to know is what drugs the designers were on when they made SSXOT? SSXT, and SSX3 werre both crisp, clean, and stunning. The colors were fantastic, and the gameplay was mostly par-excellence. The music in both for the menu screens was unobtrusive, and the interface art was pretty to look at.

SSXOT is jarring, annoying, and dirty. I frequently fell asleep listening to the menu music from SSX3. I had to turn off SSXOT to go to sleep yesterday because the menu music was giving me a headache.

Maybe rock is making a comeback - fine. To each his own. But if you ask me, the designers for SSXOT took acid, threw in a retro metal mix, and then sat down to design the game. Where are the pretty colors, and explosions? Where is the soothing menu music? Who threw dirt, and pee on the snow? Grunge, smunge. I really do think they were trying to compete with TH. That's how it seems to me anyway. They had no reason to. They were totally different experiences. I had a choice between THAW, and SSXOT this year for Christmas, now I wonder if I chose wrong.

And the controls! Hasn't EA ever heard the phrase "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"? Again to each his own, but I HATE using analog controls for motions like that. I was an MK master at one point - AT HOME. At the arcade, I was lucky to pull of a few special moves, much less a fatality. At home with a digital pad, I ruled. SSXOT could have at least given you the option of using the old shoulder button control scheme instead of the stupid analog stick.

There are things I like about SSXOT. The speed blur, and the CAC (I have the hots for mine - go ahead and tell me no one here had the hots for Elise or someone else from the previous games), among other things. I LOVE SSX, and I will play SSXOT. I will give it a fair shot, and probably complete it, but my god did they butcher it.

As a side note, while I am glad to have found this site through the Faq link, a point is that I didn't need to look up a faq for SSXT, or SSX3.

EA, ditch the jarring annoying menus, expand on the CAC, and give us back our favorite characters. And take the acid on your own time.

All of this is my own personal opinion, and anyone who loves the game is entitled to their own opinion - as am I.

*Edit*
Oh yeah, and put back in the characters talking trash. Are all the CACs mute? One of the many good things about the game series that got ditched was the character personalities.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:06 am  Post subject:   
Ass-Kisser Extraordinaire
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX Blur: Showoff: #3
XBL: gondeeSSX
PSN: gondeeSSX
Kamyk, I would totally recommend putting your concerns and requests into this thread. Make sure to read the first post so you can follow the proper format. Your indepth writing would be a welcome addition. :)

Quote:
Somone said that the trade off for the CAC was the loss of the in-game characters. Why? THPS4, THUG, and THUG2 have far superior CAC modes, AND returning characters. However, I much prefer SSX to the TH series. EA could have quite easily used their own CAC to make the main characters playable. I mean come on. EA. The company that makes The SIMS. Don't tell me they couldn't make a better CAC, or fit in the original characters. On a DVD disc. Bullcrap.

You're right, they didn't have to marginalize the returning characters to fit in the CAC. We gave them every indication that we didn't want them to. But what I heard over and over again from EA was that they were differentiating this game from the others by pushing the CAC over the established (IP) characters.

"Been there done that" was their point of view for the IP characters (which stands for Intellectual Property - a caustic, corporate term the programmers used in the previews for SSX On Tour that should tell you alot about the level of care they showed to fan feedback this time around). What I heard over and over was that this game was going to be different from the old formula. What was unspoken was that that would be the case regardless of what the established gamers liked.

A lot of us didn't feel like the game was going to be as good from the very first preview. We were right, but it doesn't do much good when the end product still turns out mediocre. :heh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:38 am  Post subject:   
Kamyk wrote:
And the controls! Hasn't EA ever heard the phrase "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"? Again to each his own, but I HATE using analog controls for motions like that. I was an MK master at one point - AT HOME. At the arcade, I was lucky to pull of a few special moves, much less a fatality. At home with a digital pad, I ruled. SSXOT could have at least given you the option of using the old shoulder button control scheme instead of the stupid analog stick.

Yes! Definitely. There are many times where this has completely messed me up! Even one time on the Legendary Slopestyle. I had a combo that would have got me in first, but I tried to do a grab with Z and lost it! :frusty

Kamyk wrote:
There are things I like about SSXOT. The speed blur, and the CAC (I have the hots for mine - go ahead and tell me no one here had the hots for Elise or someone else from the previous games), among other things.

:rolleyes I can honestly tell you that I don't and have never had the "hots" for Elise or any other character (I thought Allegra was cool, but not "hot"). And the speed blur is awexsome.

*Edit*
I'm very sorry, but it's spelt "disappear". Sorry. It's just one of those things that make me go :eek

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:13 pm  Post subject:   
gondee wrote:
Kamyk, I would totally recommend putting your concerns and requests into this thread. Make sure to read the first post so you can follow the proper format. Your indepth writing would be a welcome addition. :)

I read through that last night. I was thinking of posting in it, but since I just started playing the game, I thought I should give it a fair chance before potentially expressing my dissatisfaction to the parent company. I may change my mind about some of the things that are presently irking me with it (although I doubt it). I know I will never like the menu screens/menu music for it, or the new control scheme.

I am terribly disappointed (<looked it up, you are right Whiteboard) to hear that EA seems to care more about how bored THEY are with something, than what their fans think. That normally would not surprise me in the least with most companies, but EA has a very large base of dedicated fans for various games - which they will lose if they keep doing things like this. Maybe they are just getting too big for their britches? I recall Blizzard doing that several years ago, and they lost the throne - to EA. Who do they think put them there? Fans of their games! I will say that it's not just SSX, I am also seriously losing interest in The SIMS2. I was modding for it, but it got old real fast. If EA wants to innovate, they should be doing it in the SIMS. SSX wasn't getting old to the fans. SIMS is.

If/when I post in that thread, I intend to point out that I have bought double copies of SSXT, SSX3, and several other of their licensed products just to make sure I have backups. I also have turned on several people to the SSX series, and they have turned other people on to it, etc. Chain effect dictates that in the long run, disappointed fans=less sales, and less money (which should be obvious by the going price, and sales records at this point). Unless they intend to ditch all of their long term fans in favor of trying to suck in the younger generation (which also sounds like a stupid business decision). Don't they read gaming magazines? The age of the average gamer is going up, not down. Besides, who do they think is mostly buying their games anyway? The kids with their allowances, or the adults with their paychecks? Ditching their established fan base=bad business. Or do they just intend to ditch SSX altogether, because they have megabucks, and don't give a rat's butt anymore?

Two of the people I got into SSX are SSX junkies now, and after seeing me play SSXOT, neither want to buy it themselves anymore. Now they want THAW. EA dropped the ball in favor of doing what they damn well pleased. Fans are not lemmings. I will not follow them blindly off a cliff. I can unfortunately guarantee that any next SSX will be a rental on my part rather than a purchase, until I decide for myself if it is worth the purchase price.

---

I really like this forum so far. The people here seem to be unlike the majority of idiot flamers in most communities I have been to. If I seem very direct, or defensive at all, give me time to adjust to a forum where people don't flame you for two pages for having a different point of view than theirs. Then again, I haven't looked into the general forums yet...

(I write too much. Once I start, I don't think I know how to stop, lol).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:39 am  Post subject:   
Everything I was going to say has been touched on already, but I'll give my two cents...

What I liked about SSX: OT-

1.)The create-a-character. CAC's can make any game more immersive if done correctly. OT's wasn't the greatest evAr, but it was a start.

2.)Gameplay. The sense of speed is phenomenal. When on boost, the perspective changes and everything gets all blurry. Yeah, it was ripped outta Burnout (along with the knockdowns and near misses...), but it's still surprisingly fun. The control is as superb as it was in 3 even though the control scheme was tweaked somewhat... :glare Still, it plays fast and hard with courses that have been tightened up and stream-lined when compared to 3.

3.)They brought back the "one mountain" theme. I really loved that from SSX:3

What I didn't like about SSX:OT-

1.) The whole "rock out with your c*ck out" makeover. SSX has always had a hip, electronica-esque vibe. The whole rock theme just feels wrong. Not to mention the effect it had on...

2.) The staple characters. Everyone seems all dark and brooding. It's almost like the whole cast is smirking at you now. It's as if someone sucked out their soul or something; they're like shells of their former selves. The CAC is a refreshig addition, but I wish we had the option to use the characters we've enjoyed for the last three games, the way we enjoyed them for the last three games, in something other than the quick play mode. And why does Psymon now sound like Mike Hunt, one of the dj's from Grand Theft Auto 3, shouting over the PA system at my old highschool...

3.) The graphics. They aren't bad, so to speak, but the whole game looks darker and more gritty now, and lacks the detail and some of the lighting tricks (on the PS2 version) from 3. It's really apparent on the Xbox version as the Xbox tends to make everything look plastick-y and doesn't handle alot of lighting effects all to well.

4.) Replays! What in the fook happened to the heavenly replays from Tricky and 3?!?!? Burnout lost it's replays too after EA got their hands on Criterion...

5.) The fact that Kaori is flying down the mountain at God knows how many miles per hour in a pleated schoolgirl skirt and there's not a single panty-shot to be seen... :frusty

Overall, I think EA took a gamble on OT, and it didn't really pay off. Fundamentally, it does nothing wrong, and a newbie would pick it up and love it. And rightfully so, it's one of the best snowboarding games on the market. BUT, vets of the series, myself included, seem justifiably put off by the new look, new attitude, and new "feel" of SSX: OT.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:35 am  Post subject:   
It stinks, you're right. This wouldn't have been a bad debut next-gen snowboarding title, but considering this is their 4th (2.5th?) go around it is pretty disappointing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:23 am  Post subject:   
Attack Duck Owner
If this game was the first in the series, I think it would have been good...but knowing the roots of the series and then getting this as a game, I think that's what turned off a lot of players. This would be a decent, if not great, stand-alone snowboarding game but as SSX, it's far from the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:50 pm  Post subject:   
Does anyone agree with me that the sound effects are badass in OT. I play on a 5.1 system and I can hear the whoosing effects when I go past trees, branches braking behind me and other boarders/skiiers yelling at me from all directions. It all seems to be a step up from 3 which I though was a little dissapointing in the surround sound department.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:55 pm  Post subject:   
Agreed. The voices and music selection does were trash, but the ambiet sounds are really, really good. The "whooshing" past objects and through tunnels (especially) and the crunching of the snow and ice sound amazing...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:41 pm  Post subject:   
The game is alright for the first couple of weeks. Then it gets boring. So you try out 2 player mode to find you cant be to far out ahead of your rival or he will be teleported right behind you. So that goes out the window and now you have a waste of £37.99 disk getting dusty.

Tricky = O no he did not just do that on his board.

ssx 3 = this mountain is cool....wow thats a cool short cut....AHH!!! gotta out run the avalanche!!

OT = Please stop giving me pointless shreads I beg you!

The impression I had was when you get to the 10th ranking you'd be only racing the vets of the ssx series. But no.... up to the finally race I raced unknown characters....and big foot.

this game is just as good as 1080 on the GC and 1080 is crap.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:54 am  Post subject:   
Just to throw in my 2 cents, I also have to say OT is very disappointing. SSX3 was my first taste of the series and IMO it's one of the best boons to humanity, ever. I recently started playing the 1st one (relatively difficult, but worth it), and one day I need to get Tricky for super-cheap.

I actually dig the CAC. The core gameply is nice, although I have to say maybe inferior to 3, since I'm a crazy trick-happy person. The speed blur is awesome, and the courses are nicely evolved for the series.

The loss of the DJ and interesting voiceovers is not cool. But mostly, the whole hard rock demon theme, with all the old characters being ridiculously evil (How do you turn Kaori from a fluffy-super-happy-peppy thing to a spiteful dragon-lady??) caused me to get rid of the game alltogether (read: literally toss in trash) in under a week. $25 down the tubes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:39 pm  Post subject:   
jackcage wrote:
...This game is just as good as 1080 on the GC and 1080 is crap.

Wow. Low blow. 1080 was fun once you cheated and unlocked the avalanches... :heh

Still, I was initally disappointed with On Tour, but not enough to trash it. Granted the personality we all knew and loved was gone/mutated, the core gameplay is still really good...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:01 pm  Post subject:   
MrChaos wrote:
vix wrote:

Same here. I have not touched the game since Mid November and don't have plans to either.
Me too. I only played it about a total of 5 times I think :dead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:19 pm  Post subject:   
Attack Duck Owner
yep, i played it for a week maybe, maxed it out and haven't touched it since to play for fun, i only loaded it up a while ago to help out with the faq :(

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:28 am  Post subject:   
Kamyk wrote:
I had a choice between THAW, and SSXOT this year for Christmas, now I wonder if I chose wrong.

THAW is a really good game. If you can get over the fact that every so often, then game will glitch and kill all of the cutscenes which forces you to turn the system off and back on again to fix it, then it's cool

Kamyk wrote:
Are all the CACs mute?

No. The only time they make any noises whatsoever, is when they're balancing on a rail and they're about to fall they go "Whooooah!!"

jackcage wrote:
ssx 3 = this mountain is cool....wow thats a cool short cut....AHH!!! gotta out run the avalanche!!

That avalanche in Happyness was bullshit. Considering playing 1080 Avalanche where you have 5 tons of snow erupting from the sides of the mountain trying to crush you as you're flying down the hill at 87 MPH.

[quote="jackcage"this game is just as good as 1080 on the GC and 1080 is crap.[/quote]
Dude, 1080 Avalanche kicked ass. So what if you didn't fly millions of feet higher and flipped the board around your hand and stuff? It was still awsome. Yes, it did lack quite abit in the area selection, with only a measely 13 race slopes, 2 time attack challenges, a 1 Big Air event, 1 Half Pipe event, and 1 Slopestyle track along with a single Avalanche scene... it was still good in every other way. Oh yeah, only 5 characters with 5 stats didn't hit it too well either.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:52 pm  Post subject:   
PSN: Snakeovic
It's disappointing....i was such a big SSX fan, but i just didn't like SSX:OT that much....i enjoyed SSX3 WAAAAAAAAAY more...

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Jump to:  

Information
Page 2 of 3 [ 58 posts ]  1, 2, 3