Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:02 amBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:48 am  Post subject: I really don't know what EA was thinking...  
I just got done watching the making of movies on SSX Tricky, and they talked about why Tricky is so different, and what makes most video games so bland. Now, with talking about making video games so bland, pretty much everything they said they did in SSX: OT.

"You see video game characters are kind of bland, so we want you to really go off." Something like that is said in Seeiah's/Macy Gray's voice profile.

SSX Tricky was an absolute masterpeice. If SSX3 had a bit better voice acting and a few more explosions/more color I'd say it would be better than Tricky (for me). SSX OT was a slap to the face. Everything that made SSX, well, SSX, was completely gone. Characters, Ubers that defy the laws of physics, Slopestyle events. It was all just thrown away.

What made SSX games so fun in the past were the characters. The games and characters had so much attitude and so much style. What they did in SSX OT was make all the characters look and act the exact same. They are all dressed up like snowboaders. They are all basically wearing the same thing, and they all basically say the same things. (if they say anything at all. :frusty ) They all sound like they are possessed by Satan too. Not only is the voice acting extremely bad, but it is like, scary. haha...

I knew SSX OT was going to be the worst in the series, but to me the game is just too boring and near unplayable. No glass panels to break through, no DJ, barely any explosions, no screaming, no fighting, bad voice acting, boring uber tricks, annoying "monster moments", no backcountry. The list goes on and on. I'll end my rant here.

I am selling OT to get me 15 bucks off Karaoke Revolution Party. EA, I hope you don't screw up with the next gen SSX, but I have a feeling you won't.

PS: Bif Naked and Jim Rose are the only people that can play the voice for Psymon and Zoe. I like Psymon better as like, a maniac who escaped from the psychward. He was stupid in SSX: OT, and his voice actor was bad in 3. I miss how he sounded in SSX Tricky. Atleast Tricky doesn't get old for me.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:58 am  Post subject:   
Amen. :china

Kekekkeke

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:27 am  Post subject:   
tricky was the really "wow no one has done that" game..
3 was the "sophisticated look" game..
ot is the .. umm .. i dont think im supposed to use that kind of language..

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:41 am  Post subject:   
Well, they had to try it out to see what OT would be like. Hopefully they'll go back to their roots now and see where they went wrong.

Myself, I don't think OT is as bad as everyone here tries to make it out to be (don't hit me :dead ) but yeah, i want my dj back :sad

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:05 am  Post subject:   
Attack Duck Owner
PSN: VixDiesel
no one is trying to make it seem like and awful horrenous game, we all just have differing opinions on it. :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:24 pm  Post subject:   
PSN: Fzzy285
i personaly, cant stand it. i did like the greater sense of speed. its just that the game is too easy, and it lacks that feel that ssx always had. i want them to go back to the origanal style like the first one

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:42 am  Post subject:   
The only thing I liked about OT was the fact that they brought in Skiing and C-A-C. I also liked the sence of speed and the way they constructed the mountain so smoothly (and destroyed all those wormholes/limits). I liked that they made the Ubers so realistic, but when you only get a designated 8 which can naver change... it gets boring really quick. If they would have added more Ubers, they could have fixed that. I liked the Trick Time warp, but considering that the player still did the tricks in normal speed while slowing down everything else... Made it really weird.

Oh, by the way... I played On Tour for awhile, then popped in SSX3 and hit that effect of a smoother gameplay? On Tour must only run in 30/45 FPS compared to 3's 60.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:50 am  Post subject:   
XBL: Rezurekdead
PSN: CrimsonMastodon
If SSX3's gameplay and style mixed with OT's Rocking graphics and ect = ROCK HARD GAME!

Welcome Home....

#1 Viggo Fan since 2003.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:53 am  Post subject:   
Attack Duck Owner
PSN: VixDiesel
ot's rocking graphics? where?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:35 pm  Post subject: Re: I really don't know what EA was thinking...  
PGwojowski wrote:
PS: Bif Naked and Jim Rose are the only people that can play the voice for Psymon and Zoe. I like Psymon better as like, a maniac who escaped from the psychward. He was stupid in SSX: OT, and his voice actor was bad in 3. I miss how he sounded in SSX Tricky. Atleast Tricky doesn't get old for me.

Yep. They also made him look like a complete IDIOT. I honestly can't tell how they derived that...thing from the real Psymon. And I think that he didn't escape because in Tricky he says "It's been a while since they've let me come out to play!" :heh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:55 pm  Post subject:   
Ass-Kisser Extraordinaire
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX Blur: Showoff: #3
XBL: gondeeSSX
PSN: gondeeSSX
Quote:
SSX Tricky was an absolute masterpeice. If SSX3 had a bit better voice acting and a few more explosions/more color I'd say it would be better than Tricky (for me). SSX OT was a slap to the face. Everything that made SSX, well, SSX, was completely gone. Characters, Ubers that defy the laws of physics, Slopestyle events. It was all just thrown away.

This was a derivation on purpose. The On Tour team WANTED to move the series away from the over the top stuff from Tricky, as they mentioned it in interviews and said the exact thing to me when the Zoe character art was released.

Did it succeed marvelously? No. Was it different? Yes. It was also a lot less fun and more annoying, so take that as what you will.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:20 am  Post subject: Re: I really don't know what EA was thinking...  
XBL: freejayfly
PGwojowski wrote:
I am selling OT to get me 15 bucks off Karaoke Revolution Party. EA, I hope you don't screw up with the next gen SSX, but I have a feeling you won't.

If no one else is going to buy it I guess I will... PM me

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:46 pm  Post subject:   
It's sad. it really is. I think what they did with 3 was original and awesome. OT was a freakin' outrage. Someone please tell me they will make a 5th one.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:11 am  Post subject:   
i hired ot once and never hired it again. it is definitly the worst in the series. and yet, the official playstation 2 magazine gave it 8/10! well i guess its because there not ssx fans, they play all types of games.

mac rules!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:43 am  Post subject:   
lilblaze wrote:
i hired ot once and never hired it again. it is definitly the worst in the series. and yet, the official playstation 2 magazine gave it 8/10! well i guess its because there not ssx fans, they play all types of games.

Wait, hired?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:10 am  Post subject:   
Ass-Kisser Extraordinaire
Scoreboard Honors: 1
  • SSX Blur: Showoff: #3
XBL: gondeeSSX
PSN: gondeeSSX
Hired, bought, whatever, you should know what he meant. Not everyone here speaks perfect English. :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:55 am  Post subject:   
It's kinda wierd. (forgive me if i go slightly off topic.) But I just got SSX OT like 4 days ago 4 only 20 bucks at Best Buy. Must not be doing that well. I can't imagine why...... :rolleyes. But I guess it could 've been worse... not much but it could've been.

^Made by Royank! :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:23 am  Post subject:   
PSN: jonipooon
SSX On Tour really broke my heart in pieces.

Only one thing remains: New SSX for PS3. Seeing other games to PS3 will be upgraded new versions of past games to PSOne, maybe New SSX will be a newer version of Tricky or something. Let us hope.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:31 am  Post subject:   
PSN: MistressWiggle
Ah the PSP version was better than the console On tour IMO

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:34 am  Post subject:   
PSN: jonipooon
NA wrote:
Ah the PSP version was better than the console On tour IMO

Man that's tough.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:46 pm  Post subject:   
well the game was def too ez as fzzy said which made it really really gay :blahblah the no online ruined the game beyond all limits though i was so excited to finally play new ssx OT online :woot then i find out not online and nfsu mw not online :frusty i was like wow looks like no ea games this year for me... :no

ty aiko :-D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:55 pm  Post subject:   
SSX On Tour: Racing: #1
Scoreboard Honors: 4
  • SSX On Tour: Racing: #1
  • SSX 3: Overall: #2
  • SSX 3: Racing: #3
  • SSX On Tour: Overall: #3
JAMdrew wrote:
well the game was def too ez as fzzy said which made it really really gay :blahblah the no online ruined the game beyond all limits though i was so excited to finally play new ssx OT online :woot then i find out not online and nfsu mw not online :frusty i was like wow looks like no ea games this year for me... :no

Sure that game was easy to beat and i do agree with you the no online was a serious bummer, but try and compete at the level at which the game is at now, racing anyway and you will not say it is easy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:27 am  Post subject:   
OT sucked? Yeah, well... to each his own I suppose. I won't say that it's a brilliant game that tops the rest of the series. Far from it, but seen as an individual snowboard racing/tricking game it's still extremely good fun in its own way, I think at least. Only when you compare it to the earlier games in the series does it stand out as particulary bland. I guess we should've seen it comming already when we heared it would be called "SSX On Tour" Rather than "SSX 4". The latter name would imply a sequel, while with the former they could feel a bit more free to break with the old style. In some ways I think they have succeeded, in others I think they failed misserably.

Firstly you've all been giving them a lot of flak for taking away the established characters, while at the same time giving them credit for the CAC system. I'm sorry, but the current generation of consoles have a rather limited capacity by today's standard, and I think the two would be incompatible. Either you have one or the other. Personally I don't much care what my character looks like, so they could give me whatever they wanted. I will say tho that the characters you all praise so highly was one of the reason I never completed neither tricky nor 3 for all chars. I absolutely hated hearing Kaori blabbering all over the place in a language I don't understand, and I loath pretty much everything hip-hop or baggy. Viggo and Griff was just plain annoying. Allegra too by the way. With Tricky, most of those that didn't have an annoying voice (that really wasn't too many there) had that bloody racing board that freaking always landed the wrong way. But I will agree that tricky, especially, had a huge dose of character and style. So with the players I could stand, it was an immensely enjoyable experience.

I much prefere to be bumped back by an invisible barrier than to end up in gray matter and lose a heap of time on out of bounds. And I hated the select-o-rama on many of the master runs that it resulted in.

Getting ridd of the boring transition areas is also a good thing, albeit I suspect the flip side of the coin is that you have to reload between races and if you restart, even having skied just a short distance.

Then there is the loss of slopestyle events. Well, they're pretty much still there as far as I can see. The biggest difference for me at least was no multipliers, which kinda sucked for a while. I always got through on multipliers and was fairly useless at keeping combo chains. Others, I gather, didn't have that problem as they claimed it was too easy. After I got the hang of it I will partly concur, if you don't count the extreme time limit on some of the runs. At least that it was easy. Don't know about the "too". Also I don't mind at all that they removed the monster tricks. Those were among my least favorite things with SSX 3. They inevitably led to little to no variation, especially when combined with the smurphy trick. Of course OT didn't exactly help variation much along either with a pretty limited selection of monstertricks tho.

The tracks up next: Pretty much as to be expected. Some are good and fun, others are a bit boring while yet others are annoying as hell *cough*son of a birch*cough*. And for all you tricky glorifiers out there: I absolutely hated the tokyo megaplex! booooooring!

Removing online play is probably their biggest misstake. I personally never played ssx 3 online, but I can imagine it could be a lot of fun. Also I think removing the replay view was a bad call. More sacrifices for preformance I understand, but still...

Then some new innovations. The addition of skis? Yeah. I'm much more of a ski person myself, even if I ski telemark, which I guess most of you haven't even heard of. Another preformance/capacity bump tho I guess, but I enjoyed it. And then there's the bunch of skiers in the slopes. Those are kinda fun too. Especially being able to take out some aggression on the damned snowboarders that slide down the steep parts with their boards perpendicular to the incline, removing all the damned snow for everyone else. Boot to the head! Yeah! On a more serious note, I suspect that is the biggest preformance hit of the lot (of the non-essential stuff that is). It adds life to the hill, a whole slew of shred events, a random factor in the difficulty (bumping into them grrr...), but at the end of the day, is it worth what was sacrificed to get them in? I'm not at all sure. I like them a lot, but I also miss the stuff that was taken out on account of preformance.

The trick stick is another newcommer. This I guess is pretty much up to individual playing style. I found it pretty easy to adjust to, but I wish they would've added the clasic style as an option.

The music in this game is excellent! At least the old rock, the stuff that in it's days was heavy metal, which is now nearly clasic rock. (Heh. I'm getting old...) Voices? Well, there's one of the biggest points in the complaints I've read. But as with old characters, an elaborate voice acting setup is also incompatible with the CAC system. Just think about it. How many voices should you have to pick from to feel that you really get to pick among several you like? Pretty much a lot, and for both genders and with an extensive dialog? I bet that would nearly be a second dvd just for the voices. Unpractical. And I don't know about you, but my ranking of the options is 1: Good selection of good voices, 2: Little or no annoying voices, 3: Ill timed, bad, and horribly generic voices. So given that they went with the CAC, I don't really think good voice acting is an option on today's generation of consoles.

So when you stop seing it as a direct successor to tricky and 3, and/or try not to purposfully forget everything that annoyed you with those, it ain't a bad game. It's not as good as it could have been by a long shot, but it's not bad. And it's hours and hours of good entertainment (for me at least).

Now that was a rant :heh
With some reasoning, analyzing and consideration that the ps2 or xbox aren't exactly supercomputers, and a whole lot of other :blahblah

/Xilor

The Fifth Elephant by Terry Pratchett

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:56 pm  Post subject:   
holy crap thats got to be the biggest post ive ever seen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:16 pm  Post subject:   
If you gave someone both SSX Tricky and SSX On Tour and had them play both, without them having any idea what the names of the games were, they would think that they were 2 completely different series...and that Tricky was the much better one. :X

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 3 [ 58 posts ]  1, 2, 3