Forum to discuss the fourth installment of the SSX series
Post a reply

Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:49 pm

Two weeks have gone by, and everyone who got the game on release day has passed it by now, so the point of this topic is to tell EA your final verdict on SSX On Tour.

This basically breaks down into 4 different areas:

• What you liked about the game, and what features they should bring to the next version
  • What you didn't like about the game - be frank, but don't rant. If you didn't like something, state why and move on.
  • What you missed from this version - tell EA what you sorely missed from this version of SSX.
  • What suggestions you would like to see in the next game apart from what was featured in this game or any of the previous.
Now, before you post - there are ground rules on this topic. The point of this topic isn't to air all your grievances to EA whatever is bothering you, nor is it to chew anyone out. The point of this topic is to offer constructive criticism to EA for the future of the SSX series. I am going to point them to this topic and therefore the tone of the conversation here should remain respectful. If it does not, I will delete your post and those who repeatedly break the rules below will be subject to disciplinary action. Therefore, abide by these rules outside the topic:
  • Offer constructive criticism. Offer only criticism that EA can use to make their future games better. Simply saying "SSX On Tour sucks" is unacceptable. Alway explain why you feel a certain way.
  • Keep your criticism to the game. This is conversation about SSX On Tour. This is not conversation about any of your feelings about EA. This is primarily the most important rule here. Any attacking EA as a whole will get your post deleted - that is not the point of this topc. Just as an FYI, EA folks have been discouraged from reading our board at times due to the frequent overboard attacks from people here, so keep that in mind if you post in this topic and remain on subject.
  • Be positive and respectful. EA is willing to lend an ear to you for the future of the franchise - make the most of it and be respectful.
  • This is not a debate thread. Do not post objections to other people's posts. Simply state what I mentioned above.

With that said, feel free to write up as long as post as you would like. When we've gotten enough input, I'll forward this topic to our rep at EA. If you've posted a final review of the game somewhere else, feel free to copy and paste it here. :china

Now, give your final review of SSX On Tour! :china
Last edited by gondee on Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:15 am

Ok, to keep this tidy and constructive, here i go:

What you liked about the game, and what features they should bring to the next version

The courses -- the courses are almost characters in and of themselves, and as par for the course, they are terrific.

What you didn't like about the game - be frank, but don't rant. If you didn't like something, state why and move on.

CAC - I don't think it was as developed or realized as the one in SSX3, which made it harder to appreciate the new one.

Lighting -- Everytime I looked at my created character, he looked very pale, regardless of time of day, whether conditions, etc. Again I find the look in SSX3 a bit more .....interesting.

Framerate -- What to say? 60 fps is where its at, anything less just adds to the difficulty.

Mountain ambient life -- having lots of "npc" skiers and boarders is ok, but becomes a very frustrating obstacle for shreds and competitions by upping the difficulty immensily.

Camera -- specifically during monster moments, there are times when the camera pans in such a way that you can't see the ground, which isn't a plus at all.

What you missed from this version - tell EA what you sorely missed from this version of SSX.

Multiple camera angles -- short, medium, and far.

Replay screen -- allowing you to review and critique your most recent run is very helpful especially in competition driven events.

Records screen -- anything that keeps track of best times/scores is also very helpful.

Session pts on freeride mode -- yet another friendly competition oriented feature I found myself missing greatly.

Collectibles -- Not being able to permanently keep collectibles found while freeriding unless you ride all the way to the bottom of the mountain -- very frustrating when trying to find the collectibles on the courses at the top of the mountain.

Events from Freeride -- this is a feature I didn't realize I really liked until I played SSX4 -- having the ability to freeride down the mountain, and roll up to a starting gate to begin a competition.

A DJ -- having a DJ to really pull you into the whole experience was sorely missed on my part.

What suggestions you would like to see in the next game apart from what was featured in this game or any of the previous.

None at this time. (I'll leave that to those who have spent more time thinking on said question).

Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:53 am

I'll use my very own format as well:

What you liked about the game, and what features they should bring to the next version

The courses were hands down the best part. They had such character and such unique moments that they were the best of the series. And that's saying a lot with games like SSX 3 and courses like Alaska.

The homages to the original SSX were great, stuff like the crowd chanting "GO GO GO!" were a great throwback to the past.

The blur effect was amazing. Well done and the best "upgrade" to the gaming system in SSX On Tour. Trick stick can go either way, I can see both the benefits (accessibility) and see the bad things (inaccurate at times to select which uber you want and also dumbs the game down.)

The work done to eliminate out-of-bounds and glitches was very well done. In terms of pure, fair competition SSX On Tour may be the best of the series. It seems like all the glitches brought to EA's attention in the past were taken care of, and we greatly appreciate that.

What you didn't like about the game - be frank, but don't rant. If you didn't like something, state why and move on.

The create-a-character was a poor replacement for using the IP characters. The IP characters should have been available to customize and use on The Tour as well. And if you're going to do CAC, make it thorough enough to make it stand on it's own.

Monster Moments - I hated Monster Moments. They killed the pace of the gameplay for me and took me out of the moment. The camera during Monster Moments inhibited gameplay in a major way, causing me to bail on my jumps way early simply because I couldn't see the ground. I understand the reasoning behind it, but the execution could have been better.

Uber Tricks - there needed to be more. 'Nuff said.

NPC characters - I didn't mind the "crowded mountain" but when you can tell they are there to make you crash by crowding around jumps then that crosses the line for me. Don't add them strictly to make the game harder.

The Map - it's a terrible replacement for an open mountain experience. Since the SSX 3 producers cited the "menu driven" game as something to be put in the past for the first two games, I'm surprised you went back to it. Please ditch it for good and rely on the open mountain concept.
The Event Naming System was confusing as hell. None of us knew what each event stood for. It shouldn't be this complicated.

Character voices - Atrocious. Characters of any particular nationality sound like racist caricatures of themselves. Particular Kaori and Skye. Please make their voice actors less exaggerated next time.

Lighting in most tracks - particularly in the forest at night - you simply can't tell where you are going. Improve for the next version.

Equipment based stat improvement - going back to having to have a certain snowboard/ski to gain stats in the game is a step backwards. Stats should be separate of equipment so I can pick whatever board design I like. I shouldn't be forced into using whatever piece of equipment is best (regardless if it's our own site's board.)

Cheats - You should not be able to save any scores in either The Tour if you've used any cheats at all. SSX 3 did not allow you to do this, but On Tour does. That's unfair to those people who play honest and discourages competition.

Quick Play Saving Issues - not being able to save your times in SSX On Tour makes playing quick play useless.

2 Player Issues - having an opponent warp forward if you pass them for more than 300m is unacceptable, and makes 2 player competition a joke. This should have been ironed out before you implemented 2 player competition.

What you missed from this version - tell EA what you sorely missed from this version of SSX.

Online - it adds so much to the game, and it is what SSX On Tour got panned most for in reviews. Not using it is not a question - if it was featured in a past version, it needs to be in future versions or it is a step backwards for the series.

Using established characters in the game - removing the characters from the main career mode was a serious step backwards. It needs to be added back in because the characters in the SSX series are a major draw for returning players. If you feature a main "purpose" behind the game, the IP characters should be usable, upgradeable and customizable, simple as that.

Multipliers in showoff - removing them homogenized slopestyle into all backcountry events. Another SSX Staple removed that shouldn't have been.

Replay - again, another SSX Staple that was removed that should be reinstituted.

Top 5 records screen - the removal of this in SSX On Tour makes no sense at all. There should be a top 5 records screen with name listing for all tracks. Not having it in there removes drive for competition from the game.

The DJ - another SSX staple that was removed in SSX On Tour for unknown reasons. Should be put back in the next one.

What suggestions you would like to see in the next game apart from what was featured in this game or any of the previous.

The next game should be fully online with full features and consistent glitch updating to remove cheaters from the series per the usual with most online games.

I will think of more and add them as I remember.
Last edited by gondee on Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:34 am

well this is mine.. EA please don't be too offendend

I liked slowmo mode, but i like it also if you can put that on/off
It was a big mountain i liked that.
The music finished when it was finished. in ssx 3 you would hear the song constantly until the race was ended
The patrol shred was fabulous i just loved it
the NPC although they bothered me sometimes.
That Royanks board came in the spotlight
You almost never got out of bounds
Every track was big and fun and you could go down ALL the mountain with each track

What i dind't liked at the game

The rewards mostly couldn't fit with the clothes
The CaC didn't speak much
some of the secret passages where too big! if an opponent entered he was like 230 M for you in a few seconds.
The monstertricks where nice but sometimes are pressed accidently.

What i missed in the game

The DJ! definitly the DJ!
The replay mode cause you could revieuw youre great scores.
The interaction between the Veterans
The sessions cause you had to go down the entire moutain for having some cash
a story mode for the Veterans. To be honoust sxx is all about the veterans
The stats like in ssx 3, some boards are very cool but have weak stats that bothers me sometimes.

Some Features i would like to see

There should be more shops which you can unlock: like Royanks board shop!
The CaC as an extra in ssx 5. its not the good as the main dish, but is still tasty
Some different radio stations, like radio mettalica, Da Funkhouse and 1000 KHrtz with each their own dj (if possible)

Well thats all. ssx 4 wasn't bad but it just wasn't that good either. But it is graded a 7

Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:50 am

Honestly the only reason I didn't buy this was because of the absence of any replay feature. I wanted to make at least one mindfuck of a movie using On Tour. But oh well. I probably wouldn't have gotten around to it, anyway. There's just too much sex and drugs to be had in college.

Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:21 am

The courses were really nicely done

To find out EA put my snowboard in the game and make it one of the best boards in the game :cheers

The sense of speed was nice I actually liked to race more after this

The blur effect

Removed wormholes and rail glitches

The trick stick it's really hard sometimes to do a board press instead of a monster and when you want to pull off level 1 monsters with a slight turn of the nub you'll end up doing a level two when you didnt want to.

The camera angles on parts of courses when you performed monster moments turn the camera around and you won't see the ground or sometimes objects like trees block your vision and you'll end up falling.

The soundtrack was good but some songs don't fit in with SSX.

CAC could have been better.

The Veterans didn't play a big role in this one.

Rewards could have been better as well.

Monsters Tricks looked like level one ubers.

I missed playing as the veterans in the main mode of them game.

The old techno/break beat music

Insane uber tricks

SSX'3 freeriding

Online *Even though I have dial up*

A Dj

Replay mode

I want to see the next level of uber rails like Super Uber Rails

Keep the sense of speed and the blur effect

Bring back the best courses from Tricky - On Tour

Bring back the old cast of characters.

A better online server

4 Player multiplayer if possible

Either have radio stations for each genre of music cause some people dont like rock or techno that much

Make upgrading stats like in SSX3

Royank's Board Shop! :wink

Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:23 am

As a lot of people have said, the courses are fantastic.

Skiing! I love it, I hardly ever Snowboard any more.

Monster Tricks. Easy to pull off, especially for my friends who wouldn't play SSX games because they couldn't figure out how to pull off Ubers.

Sense of Speed. You feel like you're really chugging along.

You almost never went out of bounds.

The lively mountain. Feels a lot less lonely, and it's really fun slamming into a ski kid going mach 3.

What you didn't like about the game

The CAC was quite limited so you have a very good chance of having the same character as somebody else.

Boards/skis with stats. I like choosing my own design.

The snow doesn't glitter anymore. :cry

Veterans were shoved aside and playing as them was no use because your CAC was so superior.

Voices. When your character spoke it was awful. Most noteably Zoe, Kaori, Sid, and Skye.

CAC only speaks when you bump into something or are about to lose your balance.

On the GameCube version, the Y button is used for tricks and the Z button is for reset....That hurts hands when doing tricks.

Actual clothing. Having licensed and real clothes in the game limits the creativity and personality that your character can have.

What you missed from this version - tell EA what you sorely missed from this version of SSX

I missed playing as my favorite characters in the main mode!

I missed customizing my favorite characters!

Muiltiple Monsters. You had to stick with what Monsters were provided, you didn't have a choice in the matter.

A DJ to lighten things up

A replay mode. Any replay mode, it didn't need to be super in depth like it previously was.

Having your character rant and rave about how much they rocked. I loved that.

What suggestions you would like to see in the next game apart from what was featured in this game or any of the previous

I'd like to see CAC as an option, not a mandatory feature. You should be able to choose Vets or CAC.

Good voice talent. Personality matters...

The option of choosing multiple Monsters/Ubers.

Make the game about the Veterans. SSX fans like to be able to play as their favorite characters in the main mode.

Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:28 am

Basically i would like everything they brought from ssx3 to on tour, brought to the next version.

I think CAC should be brought forward to the next version of the game, but only as a choice. So you can go all the normall caracters we know and love...or create a CAC and play as him in the main game mode (tour)

Next game should be glitch free, i.e. no wormholes or rail trick. combo tricks can stay however.

Skis, they add more choice to the game, even if they do suck.

Firstly i dont like the lay out of the events screen and any other screen for that matter. The whole 'im a black diamond rock star and i can scribble' routine lost its shine after the first hour of play.

No top 5 records screen is not good. No where where you can see your times stats and scores like the lodges in ssx3 makes tracking scores impossible without loading up the actual event in question.

The tracks are way too small and i dont like racing through two small tracks that ammount to a 3 minute race. All the previous games had the perfect lenght tracks and i dont think combining them was a good idea.

The whole game is set out like a burnout title, i think going back to the way ssx3 set out 'big challenges' was far better than doing countless seemingly identicle shreds to progress in the game.

Bring back the stats system from all the previous titles instead of totally relying on a board to boost your capabilities.

Far too few clothes bolt-ons and rewards, and no character specific clothes.

Monster moments, i think this is the worst addition to on tour. It totally ruins the speed of freestyle events and ofter causes you to crash due to the craptastic camera angles and dark fading screen. Pipe events that required alot of skill and presision in ssx3 now require very little thought or talent. I mean mrchaos, RE, igloo and Ice where all masters at the pipe events and had alot of skill, now any old shmoe can be good at pipes... me for instance.

Though i dont hate the blur effect, i dont think it adds much to the game play. The previous titles are now rather slow in contrast, but at least then you dont have to squint to see whats coming up ahead on the course.

The game soundtrack was mediocre, i think going all out hip hop and rock was rather plain and dull. Get back the andy hunter and fat boy slim types to add more fitting music.

Online, big mistake to miss this out.

Free riding, no choosing where you want to be on the track is a pain in the ass.

DJ

No replay

no returning playable vetrans and no storyline or character interactions.

Normal monster tricks like in ssx3 and every uber from ssx3. For me the uber system in the next version needs to be based on ssx3's with plenty of ubers to choose from.

And Filip, we have something to talk about, if your struggling to read our indepth comments...dont read them.

Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:48 pm

# What you liked about the game, and what features they should bring to the next version

The courses were very well made, and encouraged the making of a personal line, as opposed to SSX 3 and Tricky, where there was only really one or two major lines down a course.

The soundtrack (I feel) is a bit better than SSX 3's. There's a wider variety, relatively speaking, and the music actually works in this game instead of cutting out and skipping between parts of the song. Though, that's not to say that the song choice couldn't use a bit of work.

The Hype system gives a better feel to this game, as it makes the game a bit more non-linear than previous iterations. The player gets a choice of what events he wants to do, and the track design emphesizes this by making the majority of modes available on the majority of the tracks.

On the modes, the variety of modes is also a plus for this iteration.

Skiing is a good addition, and it was executed well. There aren't many skiing games out there, and the majority of them aren't really worth the time and money.

# What you didn't like about the game - be frank, but don't rant. If you didn't like something, state why and move on.

The CAC system wasn't fully realized. It seems that the designers didn't get much outside help from other EA members. This is fairly evident in the fact that this CAC compares more to NBA Street 1/2 than to NBA Street 3.

The monster trick system needs to be tweaked a bit. For one, the blur effects and slowdown that go with them is a distraction, and it can also make it difficult for some players to properly spot their landings. Also, there isn't enough variety in the tricks.

The stat system needs to be revamped as well. A better solution would be to go back to the SSX Tricky system for stats. Characters should have variable stat limits as well, so that not everyone has an Über character that has FULLY maxed out statistics. This gives the characters more character and draws a distinction between the styles that each one can offer.

Multiplayer, for the love of God, get it right in the next game. I can see a gametype coming from the 300 meter teleport system, but that shouldn't be in effect for regular races and especially slopestyle events.

# What you missed from this version - tell EA what you sorely missed from this version of SSX.

Eddie.
Eddie.
Eddie.
Eddie.
Did I mention Eddie?

The voice actors of the past games need to come back. The new voices (especially Kaori) don't really fit the characters, or are just downright annoying. Also, give them more lines. Part of the fun of the previous iterations came from the trash talking while going down the mountain, that's gone out the window.

On the characters, I realize you wanted to try a new style for the game (the alternative rock scene), but the character styles just don't seem to match their percieved personalities, or the voices for the matter. Go back to the old character styles, they just fit better.

Make the characters the focal point of the game again, rather than the CAC. If you're going to put CAC in, that's fine, but just let us start with some of the other characters from the start as well if we prefer to.

The announcer. Now, I don't want an announcer like the one in the Burnout series, he's just plain annoying. The announcer for the events is fine, but there needs to be an announcer for the songs/'news' as well, and make sure that he's got a good, pleasing voice to listen to. A humorous announcer is always a plus.

Recording/Replays were nice to have. They also aided quite a bit in figuring out problem points in runs. And, they also had the added plus of impressing your friends with a perfect, prerecorded run rather than trying to make that perfect run while they're around and making a fool of yourself when you messed up.

Top 5 Records Screen. Or, failing that, at least let us see the scores without having to enter the event.

# What suggestions you would like to see in the next game apart from what was featured in this game or any of the previous

Make it very evident when a player is using the 'cheats' that are available in the quick play modes. Even a different background for the results screen would suffice.

A good online system.

The return of some of the classic courses. They don't have to be part of the regular game, but they do need to be there. Plus, it'd be nice to see a graphical facelift for some of the classics.

Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:49 pm

I liked the track design of the courses, but overall, they weren't as polished as the SSX3 courses. The graphics took a major down-turn as the courses seen rushed and unfinished. As a whole, they lacked a sense of personality. Sure, they had different structures to play on, but all the courses together could very well be one course, with a house, log, or forest here and there. They aren't as special and memorable as "Elysium Alps" or "Happiness."

What you didn't like about the game

The CAC was terrible. SSX shouldn't have one in the first place. Adding it in made it "just like any other game." I've always thought the SSX franchise should rely on their great characters, setting it apart from mainstream sport games. Speaking of characters, they were completely thrown aside in this game. Their images, as well as voices, were completely ruined. The fact that they weren't customizable was a let-down. It’s sad to see the SSX roots disintegrate like this.

I missed the old Kaori. Evident in the poll, many people don’t like the new Kaori at all (as of now only 5/32 people do). She was a great personality and character. I don’t know what happened in On Tour, but she was turned into a “cocky, pissed-off asian girl.” She was mean and annoying. What happened to sweet little Kaori? She didn’t even speak Japanese anymore. It was sad to see my favorite character destroyed in On Tour. A good suggestion would be to omit their ages in the new game (so you guys don’t have to keep aging them, therefore changing them) and continue to build on their established personalities from Tricky or SSX3. EA needs to know why we liked these characters so much. If EA keeps changing them (ex: Kaori) they won't be the same anymore. Yeah they're "evolving" but EA should realize why we liked the characters in the first place: their personalities and voices -these things should stay the same. We don’t like them because they have the names “Kaori” or “Mac.” –they’ve changed too much. The Kaori in On Tour isn't a Kaori, it just has her name. Characters make a connection to the game itself, something which SSX on Tour lacked.

I also missed replays. Though many missed it for the competitive aspect, I missed it for the pure “awe” factor. I spent countless hours replaying my runs in SSX3 and SSX Tricky. It was great to see the moves in slow-mo, the upgrades to the characters, and their faces. The removal of replays added a more temporal feeling to the game, making it less memorable. If you did a really great run, or did some nice tricks, it was over when it was over. There was no going back and seeing it. Removal of replays took a lot away from SSX. The excuse for removal of replays, that EA moved to a full streaming system, isn’t a great excuse. SSX3 had a great streaming system, not that much different than SSX on Tour’s. SSX3’s worked fine, and it factored in replays. I would rather have SSX3’s replays than not have it at all with On Tour’s streaming system.

The lighting is too much on the characters. During daytime runs, you can’t even see their clothing. Everything seems blurrier. In SSX3 and even in Tricky, the characters stood out from the environment. It was great to see you character in a crisp, clean light, separate from the environment. Shadows and such are fine, but On Tour’s was way too dramatic.

“The Tour” was too random and felt haphazardly placed. There was no coherency. This random placement added onto the aspect of depersonalized courses. When I first started playing, I didn’t know where I was and didn’t care. I didn’t even know which courses were what until free-ride. And when free-ride came up, I was surprised that these were all separate courses, since it felt the same on each course. I feel that the “Day and Night” feature took away a lot from the personality, as each course had to use the same snow color and template for the lighting to work. Personally I liked how in the past, some courses were mid-day (Mesablanca or Ruthless Ridge) and some were nighttime (Merqury and Metro City.) The ability to select day and night from bland courses made them seem less significant as separate courses.

Lodges were great. It would be great if the next SSX puts lodges back in (where you can buy your stuff etc) and make them better -more interactive.

Bring back our characters with personality and voice. Listen to your fans. Be separate from other video games and don’t blend in like On Tour did. :)

Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:46 pm

Prepare yourself.

Controls were good.

The sense of speed was great. There were a few minor defects in it which I will explain later, but overall I loved the feeling of speed.

Personally, I think On Tour was a bit of a step back. The experience was not as crisp as previous SSX titles. The game starts out amazing, but for me, the more I played it, the more it seemed like the title was a little bit sloppy compared to other SSX games.
SSX: OT seemed like you set a goal, and you pushed to get it out as fast as you could without taking the time to polish it off. It is like a school student who procrastinates. He waits until the last second to do his homework and does it ten minutes before class starts. The assignment is acceptable, but is not grade A work.

Now regarding what seemed to bug me the most in the title.

First off I’ll start with the slow-motion camera angles. The slow-motion was okay, but it didn’t really “Wow” me too much. The camera angles during the Monster tricks seemed a bit unnecessary and just seemed to get more in the way. Half of the time while holding a Monster trick I could not see my landing area, and had to guess when it would come. If you do decide to keep the slow-motion and camera angles in the next SSX, please try making it easier for us to see landing areas.

The mountain was another negative for me. Although there are some cool spots in the mountain, there was still nothing there that really made me jump out of my seat in amazement. The only two courses that stick out to me are “Mind The Gap” and “Hot Dam”. They were the only two courses that made me think to myself, “Wow this level is awesome.” The entire mountain seemed like one big track that had no “personality”. All of the tracks look the same in my opinion. There is nothing very special about any of them like there was in the other SSX Titles. Instead of being 13 unique courses, it seemed like 1 giant course with no real theme at all. Just lots of snow, rails, and jumps.

The FreeRide mode did not come out very well, and sessioning points must be brought back. Hitting the restart button during FreeRide his a hassle since it takes you to the last point you started at which could be the peak.

The Reset button is what I get most frustrated with more than anything. I’ll be nearing the end of a race, 50 Meters ahead of all the racers, and then smash into a Gondola. Normally I’d think “Ha…Ouch.” But after hitting the gondola, my character resets about 50 Meters before the Jump. I get placed in 8th, and come in last. It is extremely frustrating, and happens a lot.

Character voice acting was not satisfying. I was absolutely destroyed to hear all of the characters voices done so… poorly. Their personalities were all the same to me. They all seemed like possessed angry ridden teenagers. Kaori was not her normal self, Sid’s voice especially freaked me out, Elise’s voice was scary too. Their voices were scratchy and sounded to anger inflicted.

The CAC is not very fun in my opinion. They barely talk and they look like an attempted Photoshop project by a sixteen year old who just picked up the program. As Game Informer states: “The CACs look like ugly people on the street you try to avoid eye-contact with” There were only a few good CAC character skins out of all of them.

There was not enough variety with monster tricks. Though I loved how the trick stick functioned, there just were not enough Monster Tricks. Also none of the Monster tricks really were that great in my eyes. The only one that I like a lot is where your characters plays the board as if it was a guitar. Pure and genuine SSX Tricky material right there. J

I did not like how the boost function worked that much. I felt like I had no control over my character while using boost, and having boost seems to function as myself thinking, “Okay…I have a lot of boost…I can either play it safe and not use it…or I could use my boost to get very far ahead and risk smashing into a tree.” Which brings me on to my next topic.

Some courses are annoying. Especially Son of a Birch. I do not like riding through all those trees and smashing into them. The trees should have broken when you hit them or hindered the controls a little. They should have not made you totally fall on your face and have everyone pass you. It is extremely annoying.

Multiplayer needs to be fixed up a bit.

I do not like 30FPS. It takes away the feeling SSX3 gave you of just…smoothly riding down the mountain shredding back and fourth. This felt rough and not polished off to it’s best.

Characters. Characters. Characters. None of them had personality. What made Tricky and SSX3 so fun was them screaming constantly. Proclaiming how awesome they are not in a quiet cocky sort of way, but a loud in your face sort of way. All the characters were so quiet this time around. You’d go off a ramp and you’d hear…*wind*…nothing. I missed all the screaming. I also missed the famous actors doing the voices. What SSX Tricky did that I liked best was made me laugh. How can you not laugh when Eddie says, “Luther. Your neck looks like a pack of hotdogs.”

Courses were not done as well as they could have. In my opinion, SSX Tricky had the best of the courses. All courses had awesome themes and layouts, and all were the most original tracks of any racing game I have ever played. I missed in OT (and 3) doing things that were most likely to never happen in real life. Being shot up an Air Vent, sliding down a mining tunnel, snowboarding down a giant iceberg that was moved to Hawaii. All the levels had such great themes, and they were all executed perfectly. I miss the original SSX and Tricky’s tracks. I bought the original SSX about a week before On Tour, and I play it more than I play On Tour. Sure there are better graphics, but graphics mean nothing. I think the main things in games that get you attached to the game is level design/creativity, characters and character development, and audio/music/sound effects.

The DJ was gone. I almost had a heart-attack when I did not hear a DJ. Rahzel = The Best. I loved having him telling me how good I am doing and all of his comments during the races and freestyles. I missed him in 3, and I missed him in OT. I loved hearing him saying, “Bring Yo’ Mama In The Room And Show Her How Great You Are!” or getting shoved by another rider and having him say, “Ohhh! I Think someone likes you!”

Although the Rock music was great in the game, I missed all the House and Break music. The rap music was disappointing.

No glass panels to bust through. Instead we got a pole with a flag on it that just fell over? :??? Breaking through those glass panels gave you such a great feeling of...satisfaction.

Characters did not have signature tricks. This made me angry. Very Angry. They must be brought back along with many more tricks relating to other sports and activities. Examples: Playing it as a guitar, using it as a surfboard (Brodi), using it as a luge board (Eddie) and Break Dancing on it (JP)

If there is one thing I want you guys to read in this review, it is this:

Previous SSX Games, especially Tricky, felt like a huge party. Any time you play it, it is impossible to not get a big smirk on your face because the game has so much attitude. It has so much character and is so different from all other games. They had an awesome sense of humor, funny acting, creative characters, and awesome courses. To me, all those were taken away in SSX On Tour. While there are some funny parts, most of it was gone. Courses all seemed too much the same. The characters seemed to be thrown into the trash and forgotten about. The acting was bad and needs some work.

While the trick stick was a plus for being able to pull off tweaks grabs and Ubers, I prefer the old method. The triangle button still isn't used. Should Button + Square = Tweaks Grab. Full Boost + Shoulder Button +Triangle = Uber.

My suggestion to you for Next-Gen SSX is to pull off a game more like Tricky. I’d almost like seeing Tricky’s tracks remade for a third time they were so great. I never get tired of riding them. I missed all the character interaction, crazy and over-the-top courses, listening to your character scream how great they are as they are hurtling down the track or flying 50 feet above the ground. In my opinion, SSX Tricky’s courses were the SSX series finest. SSX3’s Control system and character interaction during races was the best of the four games. Music should have a lot of variety (break, house, rock, rap, hip-hop) to suit certain situations such as free riding in the backcountry and racing down the race tracks. Bring back a DJ that narrates during riding and calls out how sweet the trick you just pulled off was. Mix all those things together into the Next-Gen game, and you will have lots of happy Veteran and new SSX fans. SSX On Tour felt like just another snowboarding game, don‘t make the next SSX feel that way.
Last edited by PGwojowski on Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:10 pm

Im gonna make this real short, cause everybody else's reviews gives me ADD trying to read them(short attention span)

What you liked about the game, and what features they should bring to the next version?

The courses are the best, though short compared to some of the giants in tricky, they still offer alot fo variety. EA was pretty much on the ball with having a course designing team that has worked on all previous ssx titles. Number 2 on the list of "the good" Is IMO, the music. What made the music in 3 so bad was that EA tried to do what they did with songs MADE for ssx and ssxtricky, but with songs not made for ssx. Good times was an ok rockin song, but it was just horrible in 3. EA addressed this by not having the music fade into a techno beat of the song when you went off a big jump. Even though the music is not hip-hop or techno, I gotta hand props to EA for putting some bands that I like for once. And skiing is actually fun.

EA raped the original characters cast. PSYMON CUT IS BREAD!!!! :heh Seriously, it was always a blast playing through ssx with each character, now the characters are sellouts and you cant even use them in the tour. Im not gonna totally include the CAC, cause I really liked some of the clothes and gear, but it wasnt good enough to be in the good parts of the review.
Monster Moments did to ssx what coke did to its formula back in the 80s. Im sure, somewhere out there, some kid is freaking out because hes practically playing THPS on snow. But the majority and true fans know that the monster moments, is just a cheap add on. It kills trying to set records and also having alot of boost to do it. And you know what else grinds my gears? YOU AMERICA!! F*** YOU!(sorry) :heh

REPLAY!!! Even though I did not make my own videos, I loved watching my own runs to different music with best replay system in a game Ive ever played. I would also say online, but how can you miss something you never had.. :heh But Please bring the original characters to their former glory.

What suggestions you would like to see in the next game apart from what was featured in this game or any of the previous

Other than adding replay, online and making the Original characters the center of gameplay and not only the game; A better CAC with more clothes, hair styles, and better beard option would rock. Oh! dont make the colors and textures look washed out when "in game". Cause my CAC looked pretty awsome creating him, I almost cried when all the black I had him in, looked like grey.

7/10, thats being very generous.

Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:16 am

Great courses as usual, so keep up the good work. :thumbsup

I also liked the music in OT, I think you always do an excellent job with it in SSX games.

I liked the new Monster Trick stick and the slo-mo effect, although it would be nice to bring back character specific tricks, instead of giving every character the same tricks. I also liked the different stats on each board, although it would be nice to bring back the character stats from SSX3, maybe a combination of both would be a good idea.

Racing is still my favorite part of SSX, and the blurring effect is a lot of fun. I also like the fact that resetting places you back rather than forward, and that running into obstacles penalizes you more, making it more realistic while rewarding obstacle-free clean runs. :D

The hype point system was a cool idea, but the only problem is once you get to #1 you stay there, which makes getting additional hype points, erm, pointless. Maybe you could have the other characters on the hype chart continue to gain hype points as the game progresses, so you continually have to gather more hype points to stay ahead of them.

Populating the slopes with npcs was a great plus, and I loved shreds like Skidlet Roundup and Close Call. The Ski Patrol shreds are also a blast.

OT would have been more fun if the veterans were playable in Tour mode, What made Tricky and SSX3 enjoyable was playing each character all the way through the game, but with OT you can't do that. Also, the character voices were just goofy. Some of them are funny to listen to, but the original voices were much, much better.

The CAC was an interesting addition, but it needs to be more fully realized, and more options need to be made available for clothes and crazy bolt-ons. You also can't see your CAC on the mountain very well, so perhaps various camera angles could be made available in the next game, which would allow you to zoom in on your character. Their colors were also washed out.

Replay, replay, replay.

A way to view your times and scores without actually starting an event.

DJs

I would love to see a sort of combination of OT and Tricky where you have several peaks in different locations, each with several courses like in OT. I believe several people here have dubbed this idea as a "World Tour," which I think would be awesome. Perhaps you would be required to complete one mountain to unlock another, that would be pretty cool. And hopefully with the new gen consoles you'll have plenty of diskspace for LOADS of different courses.

Bring back all the vets, plus add new characters. If you include CACs in the next game, put them on the same playing level as the vets, rather than overshadow them.

Having a wide selection of different radio stations like in GTA would be a great idea.

Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:37 pm

The courses
The courses, to me, were the best part of the game. They had variety and substance. They just looked awesome.

Life
I loved how the mountain felt alive now, people were there, you could hear them talking and what not. It was more fun just to freeride and listen to everything around you.

The speed blur
Nifty, nice sense of speed, could use some tweaking but it was a great effect.

CAC
If you're gonna do a cac, it should at least be done right. The faces of the cac's looked like they were hit by mack trucks. They looked decent while you made them but while playing as they, they looking like something you stepped in somewhere. There were few options to choose from and they lacked ANY personality. They were so bland, it made for a dull experience.

Monster Moments
Absolutely hated this part. It ruined the flow of the game and the flow of runs. It distorted the camera to the point where you couldn't see the ground on many jumps, or the camera would be directly in front of my character, making it really hard to judge where I was going.

Trick Stick
Made it too easy to do "monsters"...while I liked the ability to still do grabs, the trick stick was not comfortable for me and dumbed down the game.

Tour Mode
It was extremely repetitive and boring. How many times can I beat X opponent in a trick contest or knock down the ski patrol.

Framerate
A game should revert to 30 from 60...

Screwy Camera
It was too jumpy, felt like it had to try to catch up with the game

Where are the records?
No top 5 screen? Big mistake

No Session Points
Talk about making freeriding unbearable. To do one course, you had to go all the way to the bottom to save anything you collected.

Collectibles
Boring and more annoying than anything.

No replay's
Ruined the creative aspect of the game. Made it really difficult to have fun and make videos.

No DJ
The radio was so dull without a DJ. Make the whole game have no life and personality. Just flat out boring.

Music
Sticking to one or two genre's of music is never a good thing. Do variety, do more than one station, like in gta.

Tricks
No enough. And they're called UBERS not monsters. Don't rename something to make it sound "hip" to the kiddies...

The map
Could it be any more confusing and annoying. It jumped too much for a player to understand what to do. Like one minute there's 5 rookie event's and then they're all gone. Where'd they go? Event limbo? Go back to the open mountain.

Multiplayer
When a player gets far ahead of another, don't warp them. Talk about ruining two-player mode. It go to be so boring so fast because once one player started winning, a warp occurred and it was even again. That's not fun gaming.

Event Setup
Could this be any more confusing? It felt like each event had about 2 or 3 different names. You never knew what event you were on.

Voices
Oh man. Please hire real talent for this. Bring back the people that were the voices. Biff Naked, Ryan Wall, Jim Rose to name a few. Hire TALENT not some yanks from the alley behind your office. That is what made the game have so much style and flair and character. They all didn't sound the same. They had personality! Characters should speak their own languages...

Cheats
Don’t' make it so cheats can be used at all. Don't make cheats that increase stats and stuff like that...or at least don't let scores be saved by using cheats.

Character Interactions
Where were they? What happened to having enemies and friends? Cut-scenes and interactions were an awesome part of past games

There's no need to explain why...

Replays
Already said why...

DJ
Already said above...

Top 5 Records
Gah....

The vet's!
Why did you put them in the closet to rot? The vets are what made the game awesome! The personality, the character, the style...they were awesome. This game was by far just dull and blah.

Do the opposite of SOT. Bring back the vets. Bring back the style and character that defined the game as SSX. I'm sorry On tour has the SSX label attached to it. It's not an ssx game. If it were a stand-alone snowboarding game, it'd probably be awesome. But as an SSX game, it's trash. It lost all character because it spent more time attempting to appeal to the mtv generation and too much time trying to be "culturally relevant" to include an awesome game in an awesome franchise. The game part was pushed aside to get more kiddies to buy it. My biggest gaming let down of the year is sot and I've gotten a ton of games this year. But by far, I was let down. I was hoping for another awesome ssx game. But I only got about a week and a half of play and even that was painful. Just not a fun game for me, a die hard fan.

It's time ssx go back to it's roots. Forget sot ever happened and pick up where ssx3 left off. Take the style and personality of Tricky and combine it with ssx3's open mountain and what not. Forget the tour and go back to events and tricks and showoff. I don't want ssx to be portrayed as another game where your character has to act like a thug to get ahead in the game. Since when was SSX about beating up npc's and running from the ski patrol and what not. It's about tricking and racing...

That's all I can think of for right now.

Edit: I forgot to say...if there's gonna be a cac, let there be a choice between the vet's and the cac...not everyone wants to play as themselves in every sports game out there...
Last edited by vix on Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:24 am

I'm not big on typing, so I'll cheat and say exactly what vix said :heh with the following edits:

*Things you liked*
-I do not agree that the courses looked or felt awesome. The graphics were very dull in this game, and the snow just looked like white graphics, whereas in the previous games it looked like actual sparkling snow.
Also it is so hard to actually appreciate the courses, since the Tour mode is so stop-and-starty.

*Things you didn't like*
-The music.
Not only did alot of the music not really fit the Snowboarding vibe. But what happened to the interactivity of the music? In past games, you had different mixes for different parts of the mountain etc.
I don't think cutting out the music everytime you do a big jump counts.
And there is no fluidity to it......... its just one song after the other. Even though DJ Atomika was an idiot, I'll admit that he made the music feel more organic.

*Things you want for next game*
-Bring back the minimal HUD please.
-Bring back all the Super Ubers and ability to pick them.

Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:16 pm

what i liked:
the corses where awsome.
the music fits the game.
skiing
the ski patrol shred.

what i didn't like:
the vets voices were horrible.
the characters never spoke
the cac. if your gunna do a cac do it well.
the monster tricks. they all look basiclly the same.
when im in a race coming 1st, the guy in 2nd place gets like 200 metres in front.
kaori speaking english

what i missed:
the dj
characters saying stuff to each other
freeride all the way down the mountain.

improvements:
scrap cac, or do it well.
the choice of cac or original characters.

Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:07 pm

The sense of speed (blur effect) is incredible and very well done! The course design was excellent and loaded with potential for style & speed. Even though I'm a die-hard boarder, adding skiing in was a pretty savvy move, too. Being able to seamlessy ride down the mountain was a huge improvement as well!

Dislikes

-SSX Characters: The regular characters (Mac, Kaori, etc.) were available only in quick play. Very disappointing.

-Graphics: They seemed less sharp, less vibrant than in SSX3. Just less polished. Also, the more realistic character bodies felt less realistic than the slightly more cartoonish SSX3 types. The snow had no life, especially its lack of sparkle. The tracks made in powder looked like an eraser made them, not a snowboard. Also, was this game dropped to 30fps?

-Create-A-Character: Very poor. Ugly faces, very limited choices. No variety of personalities, different voices or comments to choose from either.

-Monster Moments: MM's were not great due to confusing camera angles, not to mention slowing down the pace of the game, which got old fast. Shoulder buttons were much easier than trying to roll the right joystick (on PS2) when trying for specific Monsters.

-NPCs: NPCs were more annoying than challenging.

-Lighting: My CAC was always really pale looking regardless of what colors he wore, and some tracks were poorly lit at night.

-Character Voices: HORRIBLE. The accents sound near-racist, especially Sid & Kaori sounding like buck-toothed Charlie Chan. I was utterly shocked at this. Most other voices were just annoying & overacting.

-Audio: No more DTS? Another downgrade from SSX3.

-Map: The very limited ability to choose what events I wanted to do was annoying. SSX3's set-up was perfect.

-Stats Based on Gear: Again, SSX3 had it right. In a video game, I want to choose my board for how it looks, not how it rides. Ability should be determined by the rider and the abilities he earns, not the gear.

-The Mountain: The tracks were fun, but so many of the tracks felt the same. In Tricky and even SSX3, the tracks were distinguishable and had distinct flavor to them.

-Trick Combos: Challenging, but it got old fast in SSX3. I love butters and presses, but doing one every 3 seconds if I don't have a jump in front of me is corny.

-Rewards: A lousy t-shirt? I believe in rewards via process over product, but this was just lame and gave even less incentive to create and play another character.

Missed

-Online Play. I never had the capability to play SSX3 online, but I was really looking forward to this after getting an upgraded PS2.

-DJ: I liked both Atomica & Rahzel. The events announcer in On Tour was cool, but the mountain felt almost 'lonely' and less alive without an announcer who could 'create a community' by describing other happenings on the mountain.

-Replays: I miss replays and really liked switching the views to see my lines and how I rode them.

-Character Interactions: The trash-talking after an event in Tricky was CLASSIC. I loved that stuff.

-Run Choice: Bring back a wide open mountain that allows me to ride (or race or jump) where I want to.

Suggestions

-Character Choice: If CAC needs to return to SSX5, it should be optional.

-Music: The hard rock didn't feel like SSX. Bring back the electronica/techno/house stuff, and add it to the rock, indie and hip hop. Modern snowboard films feature a ton of electronica/techno/house, not to mention it's sick to ride to, so add a lot more of that to the soundtrack.

-Trick Variety: Give more variety of Monster Tricks, especially rails tricks.

-Off-Axis Tricks: Allow for easier off-axis tricks where the player can spin more than 360 degrees on an axis that is not completely vertical or completely horizontal, and possibly even allow that axis to rotate. Pro snowboarders can pull off such "corked" rotations and they are so stylish, not to mention it could really create big potential for a greater variety of tricks in the game.

And now, my Big 4. If you only take away four things from all of the words I've typed, let it be these!

1) Characters: Bring back the regular SSX cast as playable characters in career mode and let them interact with each other. The characters and their interactions and personalities were such a huge draw to the SSX series. Relegating them to mere Quick Play made On Tour a lonely game.

2) International Flavor: If Kaori is Japanese, let her speak Japanese. I don't care if I understand or not. (Either give her optional subtitles or let us find out the translations on-line with other SSX fans who can translate.) Offer riders from more countries and give them some identity and flavor by letting most of them speak their own language: Japan, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Chile, Germany, France, Canada.

3) The Mountain: Traveling to different parts of the world, hearing the voices of the announcers and people made things so much more real. More importantly, the terrain was so much more varied and gave tremendous personality to the courses. The difference in tracks in the first SSX and Tricky were tremendous and I loved that. Tracks felt so homogenous in SSX3 and On Tour. Instead of having just a single mountain with a dozen or so tracks, I would love to see 5 mountains across the world with 3 (or more) tracks each, or even just a dozen different single-track resorts across the world.

4) Rewards: Beating SSX and earning Untracked in the first SSX almost made me cry the first time. (Don't laugh!) It still gives me shivers just playing the tune in my head. Having a course full of wide open powder and huge air and steeps was incredible. Give a worthy reward, preferably a new track in the backcountry - or at the very least a brief character video like in Tricky.

Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:05 pm

Now there are ups and downs for SSX On Tour. What I did like is the game and some of the new feel to the game. I like the rock inspired theme to the game I LOVE the TRICKS!!!! :cheers

I do hate the CAC and the fact that only CAC characters can only go on the season mode (The Tour). Plus the original characters have lost some of their personality. THEY SKREWED KAIORI!!!!! :mad and LEFT OUT MOBY :mad :mad . The game is to fast paced to even hear or understand their lines and phrases. I have the Nintendo Version and if your going to create a town decked out Nintendo style, you really have to take the slopes to the real Mushroom Kingdom. Bilboards and snow paintings won't cut it. Finally, The Tour mode sucked (even though I'm still in the ameture leages) and it's to confusing :??? .

What I would love to see for the next gen. SSX is a game kinda like this with a little SSX3 and DJ Atomika back. Also I would love to see the original characters in the season mode. Also I would love to see more interaction between the characters and more cut scenes between them. I want the CAC to be as good or better than WWE: Day of Reckoning series, which means fully customizable characters and even a Trick creator. Also to bring back the Uber Meter with uber trick activated by the tweak button, but the trick stick can stay for more dynamic tricks. Keep skis but make it more of a factor when when you choose between one plank or two. And as a more dramatic feature have the original chacters start organizing groups to really own the mountains and all the sponsorships. Show love, betryal, friendships, and real rivalries (not like the low tune rivals on SSX3) add other stuff that has made the other SSX games so famous and all of the main characters from SSX, SSX Tricky, and SSX3. Then you will hopefully have an allstar game. Please, give the main characters shopping malls full of variety in clothes, accessories, boards, etc. Not much, but that is all that I ask for. Oh... yeah....... make the ultimate soundtrack!!!!! Overall 7.5 out of 10, and I am being frank.

Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:51 am

I'm glad to see my thoughts on this game are reflected by others.

- The runs were very well done and longer.
- Virtually no 'Off Limits' respawning.

- The character generator was bland.
- The black & white 'doodle' art style was unattractive.
- The rock & rock music was out of place.
- The right analogue trick system was unsatisfying.
- The mountain menu was confusing and chaotic.
- The runs grew overly repetative.
- The lighting effects were dull.
- Overall the game lacked personality.

- The IP characters complete with their individual clothing and voices.
- The old boost, super uper, and monster trick system.
- The mountain menu and choice of events.
- DJ Atomica was a fun and classy part of the game.
- The polished and slick art style.
- Replaying and saving runs.
- Freeriding down the mountain.

- The triangle buttom remains unused. I suggest it be used to call up a 'trick plate' where up to four tricks can be put on one plate. Cycling through the trick plate will allow the player to use all of the tricks they purchased on a single run or event. This way the game can have 12, 24, or more tricks to buy and one can equip them all.

Closing remarks.

- SSX3 remains one of the best games on the PS2 and is one of the most replayable games in video game history. It was as good as any game gets and the only flaw was that it left us wanting more. For the life of me I could never figure out why EA didn't capitalize on the succes and create an SSX3.5 with nothing different other than runs. That game would have sold and been easy and reletively inexpensive to produce.

My friends and I were disappointed that rather then sticking with an already polished game and making minor improvements they instead made a Burn Out clone on snow. Burn Out is a fine game, but I already own that one. I bought an SSX game to have the SSX experience.

The end result is the game is in no way as beautiful, compelling, or immersive as the previous. After around ten hours of total play I moved on to other games. On Tour back off track and I hope EA looks to previous titles before developing the next incarnation.

Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:10 pm

Love the speed blur.

Love the monster moments, but it would be nice to be able to turn this on and off as desired.

Love the tracks.

Love the fact there are so many task to accomplish, even if they are repetitious. This is especially good when you get frustrated working on one thing, because you can try something else.

Love the comments you can hear throughout the mountain, when you turn off the music. Did I honestly hear a girl say "I love dogs" and then hear a guy bark? :heh

Along with many other people, I *hated* the menu system, including the sketchbook look. Aside from my dislike of the look, it didn't work well as a menu system. It was very difficult to know where you were, and where you had been. And the colors for Platinimum medals are waaay too hard to differentiate from gold.

I really missed the other characters.

Please, if you do decide to do online play, please please please don't give a stripped-down version to those of us who don't like online play. Too many great game series have been ruined this way.

Lastly, let me just say that in the end, I like this the best of all the SSX games. It took me a *really* long time to get past hating the look of the menu system. But for actual game play, this one is the best. Keep it up!

Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:56 pm

What I liked:

The courses they are super extreme. I like interacting with, and destroying objects.

The CAC. I always wanted to make my own SSX character to challenge the vets.

Monster Tricks. Easy to pull of almost any jump

Blur effect. Great sense of speed

Skis. I just like the tricks you can do on skis

The vets clothes. Really stylish

What I didn't like:

CAC clothes. Some of the were alright

CAC didn't talk. Needs some personality like THUG games

Voices. Just horrible nuff said

AI. I hate the rubberband effect

The gear stats. There are many cool boards and skis but their stats suck

The 2 player reset.

Features they should bring back in next game:

Skis. I like the skis

DJ Atomika. Best DJ ever!!

Blur effect

Monster Tricks (with the ability to turn slowmo on and off)

Replays

All the SSX vets from Tricky and 3 (I really miss Griff)

CAC with all the clothes from 3 and On Tour along with some new ones.

Two career modes (one when you play with your CAC, and one when you play with the vets.)

Bring back all old tracks.

Ability to save cheats like in SSX 3

Characters' old voices.

Customizable Vets.

Stats like in SSX 3

Race against every body in multiplayer

cutscenes

Character interaction like in Tricky.

That's I have to say time to go back playing On Tour

Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:17 pm

What I miss in this game:

For starters: the urge to want to buy it.
Why? because from the comments I've seen here and the reviews I've read everywhere, I'm affraid I'm tending to spare myself some dissapointment - and a quite some bucks along the way ;)

What I don't like about the game:

The fact that it turns out to be in such contrast to what we all have been suggesting in the infamous "SSX 4 Predictions => Suggestions" thread. Twenty-seven pages of comments and suggestions from dedicated fans, seem to have disappeared in the recycle bin.
I'm curious, gondee, if we could make a statistics (from that thread) on how many times a certain feature is suggested vs not wanted, what the outcome may be if we compare it against what is actually implemented in On Tour.

I'm not even sure this time if it would make any difference that we all are putting down our comments here.
I'd want to give EA the benefit of the doubt, but having said that, I can't help saying this time around they may have ignored us, the fans, big time.

Maybe it's just a marketing trick, let's face it, the series was 'on the top' with an active fans community that merqurycity is.
One may think "Hey, why not throw out this new concept, if it hits it hits, if it sucks, it will sell anyway cause these fans are waiting for it". And one may consider the risk of fans returning the game and asking refund is insignificant. And one may also think that if On Tour is dissapointment, SSX5 will be an easy hit when we release it as by then the fans will be so thirsty of anything better than On Tour, even if it's still worse than Tricky or SSX3, it will still sell.

Marketing trick or plain ignorance, I don't know, but any which way I am disappointed.

What features they should bring to the next version:

Three words: see this thread.

What suggestions:

Read the thread more closely.

Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:18 pm

I liked the camera / brag feature. Of course, it would have been nice if so many of the camera positions didn't correspond to corporate sponsors....

The level designs were decent, but so many course segments are indistinguishable. Unless it has a building, sponsor placement, or special rail....there's little separating one slope from another.

I do like that boards have stats, since different boards control differently (although I wouldn't mind seeing multiple 'skins' for each stat level).

Skis are a good addition. More features = better.

- CAC manditory in Tour mode
- Horrible clothing options
- Trick stick takes thumb away from the buttons you use for everything else
- GC controls: 'Z' is much easier to hit than 'Y' -- I need that grab more than I'll ever need reset!
- "Supaah Seeck!" (Voice Acting)
- Being the only modern game to get rid of open-ended gameplay and bring back the closed map
- No character-stats
- Lighting just seems whitewashed (black is gray, dark brown is light brown, etc.)
- Most of us stop making inane doodles by 4th grade (user interface / load screens a big downgrade)
- Complete marginalization of the old-school characters
- No clothing options for the old-school characters (or bolt-ons)

- Radio Big
- Dynamic / "Over-the-top" courses
- Control scheme (GC)
- Story mode using the main characters
- Saved scores / Leaderboard (& medals)
- "One Mountain" free-roaming interface
- Game (DJ / Character) giving you props for a nice trick

- Unlockable courses from previous games (Tokyo Megaplex!)
- Online play (I'm a GC owner, so it wasn't in previous games. Next-gen consoles are all fully supporting online.)
- Make the Revolution version more than a PS3 / XBox 360 port (work with the controller to provide something familiar, but takes advantage of the device)

Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:20 am

The ability to alter your playlist.
Course design was good, for racing.
The Ski Patrol shreds were fantastic.

Bland colors.
The speed-blur effect, it just gave me a headache and made it difficult to gauge my speed going off of a jump where precision matters. The speedometer was much better.
Doing slopestyle events on race courses.
Too many jumps that throw you into trees or cliffs to ruin a combo.
Too many NPCs to ruin a combo.
The difficulty was ramped up too early. I have played all of the other three SSX titles and this one became far too difficult too early. Your rank shouldn't have gone up until you had completed all of the shreds and medal events for your current rank.
Veteran Characters were thrown aside leaving the game with little personality.
Half-pipes with giant redwoods growing right next to the lip of the pipe causing me to hit them thus losing the combo or having me restart.
No replay feature.
No High Score list.
Monster Moments.
Trick Stick.

Veteran Characters playable and customizable in Tour Mode.
John Morgan music.
Slopestlye courses.
Big Air courses.
Awesome Half Pipes.
Session Points.
Character rivalries.
60 fps. The low framerate was extremely noticeable, especially after popping SSX3 back in.

Better CAC, but only as an option.
More music options.
Classic control scheme.
More character customizations, from clothes to ubers, and maybe personalities also.

[/b]

Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:29 pm

*I loved the courses! They were all very challenging and kept me very busy.
*I liked that you had so many clothes and different looks to choose from.
*I LOVED knocking down the ski-kids. Those were really fun but only during shreds. Most other times they were annoying.
*I liked the rankings system.

*I did not like that the colors seemed so washed out during game play but not when selecting the "look" of the character. Sometimes when the character won a race and looked into the camera (especially when it says "Hi Mom") it looked positively frightening.
*I found the choices (racing, shredding, etc.) to be a bit confusing and well, boring. I like going from race to race instead of having to do tricks, etc. to build "hype". The freerides were fun to do in SSX3 but only when I needed a break from racing.
*Getting on rails was much, much easier but staying on them seemed much harder.
*The courses, while fun to do, were very clausterphobic. I liked the wide open spaces you got with SSX3 (in Happiness, Snow Jam, etc.) It seemed like in many of the races, you couldn't help but run into other racers/bystanders. I disliked that immensely.
*It was really difficult for me to figure out how to do Monster Tricks and I didn't like the time-slow effect. It really takes you out of the game and hinders the momentum.
*The trees man. Running into them constantly was a drag and once again, really gets in the way of the momentum. It's fun to have courses with trees but one or two. This one seemed filled with 'em.
*I lost power during game play a couple of times and when I went back to my game, it was corrupted both times. This never happened with SSX3 or Tricky. Not sure what the deal is there.
*I didn't like (at all) being dropped into the middle of a course during the 1 on 1 challenges or the trick challenges.
*This game simply wasn't as pretty as the last one.

*I missed playing Elise!
*I missed the DJ and I missed the techno music.
*I missed getting a medal at the end and the exchanges with the other characters when they lose.
*I missed the different lodges you could go to in the game.
*I missed the little M-Com!
*Quite honestly, I liked the interface from SSX3 and wouldn't have changed a thing. It was very well-organized and was extremely easy to navigate.
*I missed the Big Air events, those awesome slope style courses, and especially the Super Pipe events where you weren't hitting trees and could see what you were doing.

*This is probably silly but I think it'd be neat if you could choose a night or day session or turning snow on or off. It would be fun and immersive to be able to mess around with your in-game environment.

Thanks for this thread! I can't wait for the next SSX game!
Post a reply