Back to the SSX Fan Site Gravitude Bar Index
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:09 amBoard indexFAQSearchArcadeUser Control PanelPrivate MessagesLoginRegister

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:54 am  Post subject: New batch of questions  
Just a collection of a few more or less simple and rather insignificant questions:

I got really fed up with retrying hard events one evening and decided to just go for the cash collectables scattered around for no real reason other than needing a break. They are after all counted. But why isn't there any overview of the count anywhere? The only way you can keep track of them is to find one and note the number that soon vanishes again. Fortunately I had collectibles left on all venues so I can be positive that I've got them or have some remaining. However I'm not absolutely sure that there aren't any transition areas that have cash left in them. I remember I found one in the area before Last call (or possibly after wild tree fun. Not sure) that said 7 of 7, so I got all those, and I got all 9 on the peak. Does anyone know if there are any in the other transition areas?
Also does anyone got a surefire way to get the elusive cash in mind the gap, where (in my theories at least) I've got to jump on a snow cat (again)? If there aren't any in the transition areas, that's my last 'free' cash, and it's really been quite a challenge to get them all (in case anyone else needs some pasttime activities). Some of them can be darned hard both to spot and get. Also, I've noticed something odd while waiting over and over for that damned snow cat: Why the hell does the gondola on mind the gap only transport people down? Haven't checked to see if this is the case on other venues with gondolas.

Still on Mind the gap: Has anyone experimented to see which is faster, the rails or just flat out boost down the snow? The boost blur and perspective change is well implemented and really cool effects, but they remove many of the visual cues that lets you gague your speed, and since you never know how well the competitors are doing it can be a real hard thing to check without doing multiple consistent and timed runs. My un-timed impressions are that it's quicker to go on snow for the parts where the rails zig-zag all over the place, like the part around that small tower structure, while the part after the chopper platforms until the tunnel is way faster on rails, as long as you stay clear of the rotor blades. Expert opinions anyone?

Does anyone know if getting sponsors for a new char requires you to beat your own record time or just the preset record (which is no longer shown)?

And speaking of sponsors, am I right to think that the "Gear" you get from the yeti sponsor is that second pair of skis I discovered in the gear shop rewards? If so it's pretty lame to reward a pair of really mediocre skiis at a point in the game when you almost certainly have to have the merq city planks to get there, or certainly something better than those.

On Hot Dam; is it just me or does everyone experience rubber-band AI on the dam jump/fall? I ride off the edge at eg +100m and it decreases to a few meters while I fall. This is normal and perfectly understandable, but when I land in the right direction with full on boost and just coast away I can't seem to get more than 50m ahead before they match my speed.

And lastly: Since I suck horribly in keeping a combo :frusty, and have advanced to 1st rank almost solely on races and shreds, it would be nice to know what conditions causes "combo lost"? I've not experimented a lot with this and the path of least resistance is to ask. Some times it seems that running into skiers causes it, but bouncing of rocks (without wiping) does not, and it all seems rather inconsistent to my limited experience.

Phew. I think that was all for now :cheers

The Fifth Elephant by Terry Pratchett

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:09 am  Post subject:   
whew!! now thats a post!! :heh

well as far as the cash goes, i really haven't been paying to much attention, i kinda figure that i will play the game enough that in time i will eventually hit them all, just randomly~

for the sponsors u have to beat the preset record the game has, nit your own. its not all events either only four i beleive. unforyunaley i cant remember which events give u the sponsors. gondee may have that in the faq by now!!

the gear i think at least skiis and boards are all available at teh gear shop from the beginning of the game. u do have to buy them!

the combo losing thing is a lil bit inconsistent, i have lost a combo a couple times for what would appear to be no reason at all. i guess i hit a funny patch of ice or something. most of the time as long as u keep the tail press going u should be fine, but occasionally u will lose it for some unknown reason. i guess thats just the breaks!!

i wish i could answer all your questions, but i know that gondee and other s are working their tail presses off to complete the faq and end any confusion that people nmay have about the game. i would suggest checking the faq every now and then to see if it has been updated with the info u need!!

:cheers

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:33 am  Post subject: Re: New batch of questions  
On Hot Dam, the actual dam drop has a rail i believe to the right of the jump, have you tried taking that?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:15 pm  Post subject:   
On Mind the Gap, there's probably some Über fast path that I missed when racing on the snow, but to me, there isn't much difference. I think it's all a question of which path your most comfortable with. If you can nail the entire rail path (I mean staying on the rails until you reach the very end of the track) then first off congratulations on controlling your speed using the Merqury City Board that forces you to NOT go full boost to stay on the rail track, and second off more power to you, it took me 1:50 to go from the top of the run to the drop off past the finish line.

As for Hot Dam's dropoff, there's a few different ways around it. One, is that log that you can takie by going to the right of the jump. That rail has a slingshot effect that'll not only allow you to avoid the increase in altitude from the jump, but will also blast you off at maximum vertical velocity. The second is that you can literally boost down the dam if you time the jump off the log right, but that's probably not as useful as actually using the log (though, it nice that you can indeed go down a slope with that steep an angle). The third one, which I can't confirm, is that it seems like you should be able to jump over to the left rather than just going with the rail or the ramp. That should allow you to get good distance horizontally during the fall. But, I can't manage to do that (I tried it once, and instead of going way out there, I jumped too late and ended up finding the second one I listed :heh ). None of these will totally remedy the CPU's 'magical' catch-up to you (maybe number 3 if you can pull it off), but they will help.

And back to the subject of Mind the Gap, isn't anyone going to post a score that totally takes apart mine on the Back-2-Back race?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:40 am  Post subject:   
Yeah, you prolly will get most of the cash eventually during normal playing of the game, but then again, when you later come back and can't find any and you haven't been keeping track, you can't be absolutely sure. (Not that it's terribly important or anything). For me it's more about knowing that I've fully explored the alternate routes, as (nearly?) all of them have collectibles on them. for example the series of logs reachable only by jumping off the round about in the Ring Around The Red Oak boast, which besides being damned hard to hit, also explains what the log on top of the jump through the snow tunnel roof is for. And I think I'd never even considered seing if you could turn around and run down the back from the peak. Maybe that's just my poor imagination tho :wink.

And for that gear reward: I don't mean any of the normal pair of skis. When you get the other sponsors it says eg that you get a t-shirt. For the Yeti sponsor it says "Gear". Now in the gear shop there is a section for rewards, where the skis/board you get from beating Elise (I believe) is. When I went looking for my gears reward I noticed I now had two pairs of skis there, and if this last one indeed is the top sponsor reward, it's a lousy reward at that point of the game.

And it still really really suck losing a high combo (which I've gotten better at collecting since I ran out of races and in serious lack of multipliers) for no apparent reason whatsoever. :mad It doesn't happen often, but it happens.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:33 pm  Post subject:   
didnt know what other topic to put this question in:

what do no holds barred races mean? its always a loose cannon shred or something like that but i dont see whats different about it and alpine assault

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:11 pm  Post subject:   
As far as I can tell, the main difference is that in loose cannon you have more npcs to avoid.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:48 am  Post subject:   
Just thought I'd answer one of my own questions. I actually did find a sure fire way to get that cash collectible on mind the gap, just in case there are anyone else going for them:

After the heli platforms, on the right hand side of the piste, about vis-a-vis the garage where the snow cats disappear, there's a forked rail. Boost of the left branch and hope you hit the next rail. Probably it's possible to do this by going on the second rail directly, but I've yet to manage to get the right speed to hit the next part by doing that (Not that I've tried a whole lot). Anyways, from there boost onto the roof rail of the hut, and from there you should be able to boost directly onto the gondola wire. Now, don't boost, or you'll be thrown off at the first tower. Instead just keep your balance and you'll get tossed off at the second tower and directly through the cash.

So... Am I the first to have a TRUE 100% (100% and all cash collectibles)? :pimp Well, it would probably be even truer if I could nail the last three plats I'm missing. Legendary race and that damned remix race, or whatever it was, I'm not even sure are possible, and the legendary slope style will be damned hard with the awefully short time limit methinks. Haven't even really tried to go for plat there yet. Anyone got plats on either of those three?

Jump to:  

Information
Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]